Thursday 29 January 2015

Uni life - leaving home and moving to a new city






Recently I've come to realise that uni life isn't really what I expected, in a good and bad way, but I didn't really know what to expect. The only ideas I had about life at uni came from a small number of students I knew at home and an overly dramatic tv programme from Channel 4, which mainly just focused on freshers and everyone getting with each other.

So I've decided to write a series of posts about what uni life is like for me, starting with what it's like to move to another city.



I moved from my home town of Nottingham to Lincoln in September. I decided to come here out of because it’s close to home and it’s a bit pretty looking. Lincoln is quite a small city with some nice independent shops along with all the generic high street shops you need. It also has a lot of places to eat and a reasonable amount of clubs and bars. So it’s all good really.



At first I really liked it. You can wander about on the first week of moving in and not get lost because it’s so small. And because of this you don’t have the danger of walking into a ‘dodgy’ bit of town, it really only has one highstreet that goes all the way up to the cathedral and castle.



The area around the castle and cathedral is really beautiful, especially at night time because it gets lit up (and I can see it from my bedroom window!!).


But now in my second semester, I must admit that I’m a bit bored and feel like I’ve done it all, which is something I have never felt in Nottingham. However, I think this could be a bit of homesickness. Lincoln has no Spankey’s or comic book shops (as far as I know) and only has on vintage shop (I think). So I can’t work out if I’m homesick or bored. I just know moving to Lincoln has taught me I prefer bigger cities.



I think what you have to remember about moving to a new city is to be open minded about it. If it doesn’t look that great, give it a real chance, make sure you experience everything.

Sophie x











No comments:

Post a Comment